POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : What is this HDRI thing? : Re: What is this HDRI thing? Server Time
8 Jul 2024 16:21:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What is this HDRI thing?
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 3 Jan 2003 19:34:02
Message: <3e162bfa@news.povray.org>

3e15d35a$1@news.povray.org...
> file? In other words, does the placement of the HDR file in the scene act
> exactly like a light-emitting source? That's the part I don't quite get.
> In effect, the probes I have used are of a campus, a beach, a kitchen,
etc.
> and you can always see some part of that original scene in the POV scene.
> I'd like to "sample" the illumination of the HDR file but leave the
kitchen
> (or the beach) out of my own picture.

Well, HDR maps really behave like any other map apart the high range stuff
(mildy reflective objects will show proper highlights, radiosity effects
will be more natural-looking etc.). I don't see a way to use only the
illumination but not the image itself, apart carefully setting up the scene
so that the HDR map doesn't show up in the frame and the non-HDR parts shown
are consistent with the rest of the lighting (the sort of trick we use with
regular maps). And no_image only works for the reflective parts, not the
illumination itself (just checked...). Possibly the best would be to use
Jaime's trick, setting up a complete scene and then using it as a map with
the "fake HDR" method(s) he describes.

G.

--
http://www.oyonale.com